Monday, March 26, 2007

painting in progress: They Had the Feeling That They Were Surrounded



The painting that I'm working on now is about the idea that the souls of our loved ones stay with us, protecting us, guiding us after death. I don't know if it's true, but it feels true to me.

In my direct lineage we have a history of three sisters. My grandmother had two sisters (Emma, Rose, Eva), my mother has two sisters (June, Margaret, Phyllis) , I have two sisters (Leslie, Mary, Lynne), I have three daughters (Vanessa, Eva, Liz). When I am working on this painting I am thinking of all of those groups of sisters, eldest, middle, youngest and of my cousins, my nieces, my grand-daughter. I see and feel bits of them in the faces and emotions of the figures in the paintings, which are just out of my head. I'm not painting these from life.

I think of my mother's mother all of the time. I imagine her soul being nearby sometimes. I didn't know my father's mother. I do know that from my mother's mother, came all of these strong, vibrant, alive women and babies.

The painting is also about the innocence of children and their knowingness . My daughters, when they were very, very little (2-3 years old) used to tell me of the time that they were my mommie...."Do you remember when I was your mommie?" they would ask me.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jafabrit said...

thankyou for visiting my blog and your comments. I know what you mean about needing to stay off the computer and work :)

I love all your work, it is so bright and energetic and soulful (if that is the right word).

all the best
corrine aka jafabrit